Talk about timely: One day after historic action was taken by President Barack Obama on the topic of immigration, the State Bar of Arizona fielded a call-in program to address the inevitable questions that would arise.
As Alberto Rodriguez reports:
The State Bar of Arizona and Univision 33 hosted a special edition of Abogados a Su Lado (attorneys on your side) public service program on Friday, November 21. In response to the executive order issued by President Obama on Thursday, November 20, both the Bar and Univision organized a phone bank that would help clarify consumers’ questions regarding immigration law, as well as inform them of the initial details regarding the President’s executive order. The following is a recap of the program.
Nine attorneys volunteered their time and knowledge from 5:00 pm until 10:30 pm:
- Emilia Banuelos, Banuelos Law Office
- Tony Colon, Colon & Associates
- Seth B. Draper, Salvatierra Law Group
- Mark Egan, Gunderson Denton & Peterson
- Magaly Fontes, Law Office of Magaly Fontes
- Bruno Gitnacht, Law Office of Bruno Gitnacht
- Ray Ybarra Maldonado, Law Office of Ray Ybarra Maldonado
- Christina Ortecho, Ortecho Law
- Matthew Thomas, Thomas Law Firm
The attorneys answered an astounding 385 calls regarding the President’s executive order and immigration law. This special edition phone bank was extended and offered during a five-and-a-half-hour time period.
Sample consumer questions:
- When will the details be released? When and how do I apply for deferred action?
- What are the specific details regarding the tax returns?
- Does this cancel removal/voluntary departure procedures?
- I got a DUI in the past, does this count as criminal activity?
- How do I prepare? What documents do I need to provide?
- I am already in the process of applying for citizenship, does this affect me?
All volunteers were satisfied with the quality of the questions overall and were excited to have participated in this special edition of Abogados a Su Lado public service program.
We thank Univision 33 for their continued partnership in providing this valuable “Access to Justice” program for the Spanish-speaking community.Follow @azatty