News from my colleague Alberto Rodriguez:
The State Bar of Arizona and Univision Arizona hosted the first Abogados a Su Lado (attorneys on your side) phone bank of the year on Wednesday, March 1, 2017. This access to justice program was held to help the immigrant community understand the impact of the President’s Executive Orders.
The Bar’s role as a partner and organizer of the phone bank was to help the immigrant community connect with licensed attorneys for sound legal advice. The immigrant community is often victimized by notarios and document preparers during high-profile activity associated with immigration law.
The phone bank on immigration law was held on Wednesday, March 1, from 5:00 to 10:30 p.m.
There were nine volunteer attorneys:
- Marisol Angulo, Hernandez Global
- Emilia Banuelos, Banuelos Law Office
- Vanessa Black, Vanessa Black Law Immigration Law Firm
- Joshua De La Ossa, De La Ossa & Ramos
- Seth B. Draper, Salvatierra Law Group
- Judy Flanagan, Judy C. Flanagan, PC
- Ayensa Millan, CIMA Law Group
- Edwin G. Ramos, De La Ossa & Ramos
- Javier Sobampo, Sobampo Law Firm
Volunteer attorneys answered 381 calls regarding immigrant rights and changes in immigration law during the five-and-a-half-hour phone bank.
We thank the attorneys as well as Univision Arizona for its continued partnership in providing this valuable program for the Spanish-speaking community. We also thank the volunteers from Mi Familia Vota who helped with event logistics.Follow @azatty