What’s the first thing people ask me when I mention the Arizona State Fair?
Well, a lot of things, but the most common refrain is the food. That delicious, awful-for-you, glorious food.
The people who bring us the annual event must get the same reaction, for they have taken to sharing out their list of the newest and unique food items on the year’s menu.
It’s Change of Venue Friday, so I pass on some of those items to you. Here’s hoping you partake at least a bit of the “sweet, salty, spicy and savory.”
Before we get to the food, let me remind you that the 131-year-old Fair runs this year from today, October 16 to November 8. It’s open Wednesday through Sunday and is located at 19th Avenue and McDowell Road in Phoenix. All the important detail can be found here.
Now, let’s eat!
As the Fair’s media folks remind us, “All the familiar favorites are back including giant turkey legs, deep fried candy bars, corn dogs, cotton candy, caramel apples, Indian frybread and funnel cake, as well as an assortment of items chocolate coated, bacon covered, spice smothered, and/or deep fried. This year’s newest items combine favorite flavors with exciting new twists to serve up a feast of fantastic Fair food finds,” including:
- Deep-Fried Peanut Butter & Jelly Cheesecake on a Stick with Bubble Gum Frosting—Decadent, crispy cheesecake treat topped with light blue frosting and red, white and blue gumballs (Sweet Cheeks)
- Deep Fried Twix (Sweet Cheeks)
- Deep Fried Woodfired Pastrami Pizza (Cardinali’s Pizza)
- Award winning Spaghetti Ice Cream (Cardinali’s Pizza)
- World’s Hottest Ice Cream (Cardinali’s Pizza)
- World’s Most Sour Ice Cream (Cardinali’s Pizza)
- Specialty Poutine—French, Mexican, Greek, Shepherd’s pie Fhat Dawgs and La Poutinerie)
- Specialty Dawgs—Japanese dog, Mexican dog, Chicago dog (Fhat Dawgs)
- Brownie Caramel Funnel Cake—Tastes like a sweet crunchy brownie with caramel on top (J & L Concessions)
- Raspberry Frybread topped with powdered sugar (J & L Concessions)
- Fireball Donut—Giant raised donut topped with warm caramel glaze infused with cinnamon Fireball Whisky, banana slices and whipped cream. (Brander Enterprises)
- Coconut Samoa Donut—Giant raised donut topped with warm toasted coconut caramel glaze with chocolate drizzle. (Brander Enterprises)
- Chocolate Covered Chicharrónes (Bacon A-Fair)
- Chicken Fried Bacon (Bacon A-Fair)
- Southwest BLT Indian Fry Bread—Indian Fry Bread served with hickory-smoked bacon, lettuce, fire-roasted salsa and homemade chipotle mayo topping (B & J Concessions)
- Bacon Wrapped Pork Belly—Premium pork belly rubbed with sage and rosemary and wrapped with 2 feet of thick-cut honey smoked bacon on-a-stick. (Biggys 1 & 2)
- Frosted Flake Fried Chicken (Get Pickled O Petes)
- The Koolicle—A Kool-Aid infused pickle (Get Pickled O Petes)
- Deep Fried Nachos—Nacho cheese inside of piping hot orbs of crispy nacho goodness bursting with nacho flavors. Can be topped with guacamole, sour cream, jalapeños and cheese. (Tater Twister)
- The Tajin Candy Apple (Sweeties and Sweet Dreams)
- Deep Fried Nutella (Fried A-Fair & Fried A Fair 2)
- Affogato Ice Cream Sundae—Sundae with a double shot of fresh brewed espresso in a test tube placed upside down into the ice-cream. As you eat the ice cream, the espresso slowly drains out into the Sundae. (Fried A Fair 2)
EMTs will be standing by. Have a wonderful—and delicious—weekend.Follow @azatty