Today, I share a news story by colleague Alberto Rodriguez.
The State Bar of Arizona and Univision Arizona hosted the Abogados a Su Lado public service program on Monday, August 17, 2015. Volunteer lawyers answered calls relating to viewer’s family law issues. The following is a recap of the program.
There were six lawyer volunteers, two of whom were first-time volunteers:
- W. James Fisher Lopez, William James Fisher Law Offices
- Mark Hawkins, Hawkins & Hawkins
- Carlos E. Noel, Arizona Attorney General’s Office
- Christina Ortecho, Law Office of Christina Ortecho
- Daniel A. Rodriguez, Diaz Rodriguez & Associates
- Alejandra Valdez, Arizona Attorney General’s Office
The volunteer attorneys answered an impressive 84 calls during the two-hour phone bank.
Sample consumer questions:
- How do we begin the divorce process? Do we need an attorney?
- My husband left five years ago, can I file for a divorce without him?
- Can I sue for back child support if my children are over 18?
- How do I enforce a child support order? What if the parent doesn’t comply?
- How do I get grandparent rights?
And I didn’t tell Alberto I was going to do this, but here is a great visual tweet by Gerardo Higginson that shows my co-worker and a lot of the call-in activity:
— GeRaRdo HiGGiNsOn (@PoRtAvOz) August 18, 2015