Here is some great news about a monthly State Bar event in which lawyers volunteer their time. Thanks for the news to Alberto Rodriguez.
The State Bar of Arizona, azcentral.com and 12 News hosted the Lawyers on Call public service program on Tuesday, March 11. Volunteers answered viewers’ calls regarding their employment and labor issues.
Eight volunteer attorneys participated:
- Denise Blommel
- Richard Galvan
- Richard Klauer
- Stephanie Leach
- Leah Lewandowski
- Dawn Sauer
- Paul Sheston
- Sandra Shoupe-Gorga
The attorneys answered 83 calls on employment and labor law. An additional 34 consumers were assisted via social media, which means a total of 117 people were helped.
Here is a sample of the consumer questions:
- Since Arizona is a right-to-work state, what does that mean to me and my issue?
- Can employers harass and discriminate against its employees?
- When are you covered by workers’ compensation?
- I haven’t been paid overtime wages. How do I go about getting them paid?
- I was fired for reasons I believe to be unfair; what can I do?
Several questions regarding employment discrimination were asked, including in the areas of age, pregnancy, ethnicity and disabilities.
The azcentral.com and 12 News teams were successful in adding a social media component to the phone bank. Thirty-four consumers asked their questions via the 12 News Facebook page, and attorney Stephanie Leach responded with her recommendations/advice.
Four of the eight attorneys were first-time volunteers.
Next month, volunteer lawyers will answer consumers’ family law questions on Tuesday, April 8.Follow @azatty