Recently, the State Bar of Arizona made the paperless plunge—declining to provide written materials at continuing legal education seminars.
What do you think of this paperless initiative as it applies to CLEs? I’ve heard from a few attorneys who think it’s a way for the Bar to offload printing costs to members. But, in my experience, that view is in the minority. The mass of people I’ve spoken with said things like, “About time” and “No big deal.”
Do you agree? Is the Bar correct to get on the sustainability bandwagon? The move has to save thousands upon thousands of printed pages every year. Is that positive enough to offset a few inconvenient negatives?
What follows are a few of the Bar’s frequently asked questions. Be sure to read all of them here.
1. Since there are no hard copies to pick up, how will I get my materials?
You will receive an email prior to the seminar containing a link to your materials. If you prefer to take a printed copy to your seminar, please print it before you arrive at the seminar. No hard copies will be available for pick up at the seminar.
2. Which email address will materials be sent to?
Materials will be sent to your email address on file with the Bar. Please make sure your email is updated with the Bar to ensure receipt of the materials.
3. What if I want a hard copy of the seminar materials?
A limited number of hard copies will be available for an extra charge.
4. I’m already paying to attend the seminar, so why do I need to pay for printed materials?
As a cost-saving measure, as well as to move forward with the SBA’s green initiatives, the CLE department is providing registrants their seminar materials in an electronic format. The advantage of “going green” serves multiple benefits:
- Allows the Bar to keep registration fees at the 2008 price;
- No more lugging around materials;
- Easy access to materials.
5. If I want to purchase a hard copy of the seminar materials, how much will it cost?
Prices for hard copy materials will be between $20 – $40, depending on the manual.Follow @azatty