This morning, an update from my colleague Alberto Rodriguez at the State Bar of Arizona:
The State Bar of Arizona and Univision 33 hosted the final Abogados a Su Lado (“Lawyers at Your Side”) of 2012 on Monday, December 10. The following is a recap from the public service program.
Summary: Volunteer attorneys answered 93 calls during the two-hour phone bank focused on criminal charges/issues. The following is a small sample of the questions that were received:
- Can I get my license reinstated after receiving a DUI?
- How does receiving a misdemeanor charge affect my immigration case/status?
- How is a potential sentence determined?
- Should I hire a private attorney or use a public defender? What are the differences?
- What are the repercussions of getting a DUI?
- How do I take care of a warrant issued in another state?
All the Abogados a Su Lado volunteers were first-time participants. Calls were consistent from 5 to 7 p.m., which led to another successful phone bank.
In 2012, 20 Abogados a Su Lado volunteer attorneys answered legal questions from 284 consumers during three separate phone banks.
The State Bar of Arizona and Univision 33 will continue to provide the Abogados a Su Lado public service program in 2013 and are currently identifying dates and topics for the new year.Follow @azatty